Sunday, September 14, 2008

Dinner Mon Dieu

Here is a recipe that I created last Friday while trying to make dinner with what we had on hand (Tony was gone with the girls to take Margaret to guitar lessons). I had in mind something like a stew, and I considered baking it a bit at the end to brown it, but I didn't. There isn't any meat or cheese because we don't eat animal products on Fridays :), but some beef or even some cheese might be a good addition.
Here's what I did:

6 or so potatoes, scrubbed and diced
1 white onion, sliced
3 carrots, peeled and sliced
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 zucchini, sliced
5 or 6 fresh tomatoes, diced (I probably should have peeled them, but I didn't)
A few pinches of dried herbs, I used thyme and rosemary, and a bay leaf
salt and pepper to taste

Heat some oil in the new cast iron dutch oven that your parents gave you (thanks mom and dad) and saute the carrots and onion. After they begin to soften, add the potatoes and let them brown a bit and start to cook. Then add all the rest of the ingredients, put the lid on and turn the heat down and allow it to simmer until everyone else gets home, about 45 minutes. Serve in bowls, but be sure to let the baby's cool first.

That's it. Everyone kept asking me what did you make for dinner (they all thought it smelled really good, I think it was the garlic and rosemary) and I didn't know what to call it, but Margaret said it reminded her of ratatouille, so Tony dubbed it "Potatoes Mon Dieu" which any one who's seen Better Off Dead will understand. We didn't have any fraunch bread, unfortunately.

Edited to Add: The next morning (Saturday) we took the leftover potatoes Mon Dieu and fried them (in little patties, like potato pancakes) and ate them with fried eggs. It was at least as good as the night before.

No comments: