Friday, May 4, 2007

Scone recipe

Whenever I bake Sophia and Ellie always try and get on my good side. They make remarks like 'That looks delicious, Margaret' and 'You are the best cook in the world'. Those remarks are way too nice to be real. But I took advantage of their cravings for scones and had them help me do the dishes while the scones baked.


I made up a scone recipe earlier this morning. It's adapted from several other scone recipes I have made in the past. They are really moist, light and flaky. I decided to share it:

Cream Currant scones

3 cups flour
2 tbsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1 tbsp. sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
3/4 cup heavy whipping cream ( you don't have to use cream, just increase milk to 1 1/4 cup)
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup currants or raisins (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C)

2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt. Add butter, cream, currants, and milk, stir until a spongy dough has formed.

3. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface ( the dough is a bit sticky, so flouring your hands helps). Pat dough into a rectangle about 3/4 in. thick and 7 inches wide. Cut into 6 triangles.

4. Bake the scones on a lightly greased baking sheet ( I use butter) and bake at 425 degrees F for about 10-13 minutes, until lightly browned.

Have fun baking!

2 comments:

Keri said...

The scones were very good, and thank you very much for washing the dishes!

Aunt Donna said...

Mmmmm - I would like a scone....